These were often eaten as part of the breakfast; we tend to eat them cold with a picnic or salad meal.
6 eggs, hard-boiled and shelled
350g sausage meat
1 dessertspoon of parsley
1 tsp dried sage
½ tsp grated nutmeg
Salt and pepper
1 egg, beaten
Sunflower oil for deep frying
1. Put the sausage meat in a bowl with the parsley, sage and nutmeg. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well with your hands.
2. Divide the sausage meat into 6 equal sections. Form each section into a round and mould it around the eggs.
3. Roll the covered eggs in the beaten egg and coat in the breadcrumbs. Have all the Scotch eggs ready to cook before heating the oil.
4. Heat the oil until very hot. If using a deep fat fryer ensure it has reached 190°C. Carefully put the eggs in the oil and fry for 4-5 minutes, turning them as they cook so they brown evenly. Cook no more than 3 eggs at a time.
5. Drain the cooked eggs on kitchen paper.
Serve hot or cold with salad.[ratings]