Pork with beans
This is good served with baked potatoes or boiled rice.
Write a review
- 450g dried haricot beans, soaked in plenty of cold water overnight
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 500g pork steak, cut into cubes
- 2 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 x 400g can plum tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ level tsp dried oregano
- ½ level tsp dried thyme
- 1 level dessertspoon brown sugar
- 500ml stock, beef or vegetable
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F, Gas 3).
- Drain the beans of the steeping water and boil in fresh water for 10 minutes.
- Fry the pork and bacon in the oil until it changes colour, and place in a lidded casserole.
- When the beans are ready, drain them and stir into the pork mixture.
- Heat the stock in the frying pan and add the garlic, herbs, sugar and can of tomatoes. Chop the tomatoes into small pieces as they heat in the stock or do this separately before adding to the pan. Bring everything to the boil then pour it over the meat and bean mixture, and season to taste.
- Cover the casserole and cook in the oven for 3 hours. Stir and cook for another 40–50 minutes.
City Cottage http://www.citycottage.co.uk/