Hot Cross Buns
500g strong white flour
1 level tsp salt
2 level tsp mixed spice
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
50g soft brown sugar
Zest of 1unwaxed lemon
1 x7g sachet fast action yeast
110g mixed dried fruit
240ml warm water
45g melted butter
For the cross topping:
2 tbsp plain white flour
2 tbsp cold water
Honey or golden syrup to glaze
1. Sift the flour, salt and spice together in a mixing bowl.
2. Stir in the sugar, zest and yeast.
3. Mix in the dried fruit.
4. Combine the butter and warm milk and pour into the dry ingredients.
5. Mix thoroughly and knead well for 10 minutes.
6. Cover and place in a warmish place for 20 minutes
7. Shape into 8 rounds and place on a greased baking sheet. 2 baking sheets may be required.
8. Cover and leave for 30-40 minutes in a warm place to rise.
9. Heat the oven to 220C/ gas mark 7.
10. Mix the plain flour with the water to make a dough and either use a piping bag to form the the cross or roll out the dough thinly and cut into sufficient strips to make the crosses. Dampen the surface of the buns lightly before topping with the crosses.
11. Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown on top.
12. As soon as the buns are cooked brush the tops with the honey or golden syrup to glaze.
The amount of water stated in the recipe is only a guide a little more be added if the dough is too stiff.
Milk may be substituted for water.
Some people prefer to knead the fruit into the dough after the liquid ingredients have been mixed in. Try it both ways and see which you prefer.