Chicken, Cashew and Aubergine Curry
500g chicken breast, cut into small pieces
1 tbsp tikka curry powder or medium curry powder
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground ginger
4 green cardamom pods, seeds only
4 tbsp full fat yogurt
Juice of 1 lemon
1 large red onion, sliced
1 aubergine, cubed
4 garlic cloves , chopped
1/2-1 red chilli, chopped
80g unsalted cashew nuts, pounded in a pestle and mortar until well ground
250ml chicken stock
1x 400g can chick peas
A handful of extra cashew nuts to top the curry before serving.
- Put the chicken in a bowl and add all the next 7 ingredients, mix well together cover and leave for 2 hours.
- Put the butter in a lidded pan and melt over a medium heat.
- Add the onions and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the aubergine, garlic and chilli and cover and fry for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally .
- Stir in the cashews.
- Add the chicken and all the marinade mixture and stir into the vegetables. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the stock and chick peas. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Top with some roughly chopped cashews to serve.
Serve with rice or naan bread.
This dish tastes better if you allow to cool then reheat as necessary before serving.