Cotija – Mexican cheese
Cheese making is not a hard job. If you have got the right ingredients and recipe, you can prepare cheese at home quite easily. Here is how to prepare Cotija cheese at home, a really simple Mexican cheese.
4.5 litres milk
2 tablespoons salt
¼ teaspoon mesophilic starter
6 drops rennet in a little cool boiled water
1. Warm the milk to 36C. Add the salt.
2. Add the starter and leave for an hour.
3. Add the rennet and mix well.
4. Wait for curd formation and then cut them into 1 cm cubes.
5. Add to a cheesecloth and leave overnight, either hanging from a hook or in a colander.
6. Place the cheese in a brine of 300 g salt per litre for 24 hours.
7. Keep in the fridge for 2 weeks in a sterile container. Remove any liquid that forms.